We chose this course because of these highlights, listed on the race website:
- Twin Pinnacles - Epic view and highest point on ANY race in Virginia at 5,089 feet
- View of Mt. Rogers - Highest point in Virginia
- Cabin Creek Falls - An amazing waterfall
- Wilson Creek Trail - Several small falls along beautiful Wilson Creek
- Wilburn Ridge - An epic scramble through giant boulders with insane views
- The possibility to see a wild mini pony! There are more than 100 that flourish in the highlands
Yes, it was as spectacular and scenic as it sounds. Here I give you seven of my personal favorite, fun and surprising things from the race weekend.
4. The downhills became my strength. Typically I love climbing hills, but with the effect of the elevation, I had to make up for lost time by throwing caution to the wind and running as fast as I could down the rocky, technical, wet trail. And guess what? I LOVED it!